Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thoughts on Technology Education...

The Texas Legislature has agreed to allow individual districts to decide whether to continue requiring credits of health, PE, and computer applications for graduation.

I feel as though this is a question that should be pondered by all... The Armstrong-Ringsted CSD has lowered the amount of PE credits that are required for a student to graduate. We have also "opened up" the "old" computer applications requirement to include any class that the Business Department and Industrial Technology departments offer, as well as Graphic Design (a computerized Art class).

Question:
Starting in kindergarten, are students so immersed in computer education that by the time they graduate, basic computer skills are mastered, without the computer technology credit we require?

Some feel as though the "learning as you go" approach will not work because the technology curriculum is not mapped out and taught in a sequential manner to the students. Is this how students learn best? In an organized and planned manner with adequate assessments along the way. I'll pose the question again, would our students have the technical skills they need if we did not require them to take the computer technology credit?

Now to create some real confusion: Are schools teach students the technology skills needed in the future? Will student be using computers like we are using them now? I remember when I was in school and I was supposed to learn how to type correctly. I was to place my fingers on the home keys and develop the skills of "proper" typing. Well, if anyone has ever been in my office while I am typing they will quickly see the manner in which I type (not the proper way). I recently took a jump into the next century and started to text with my cell phone. Once I started to text, I figured out that those typing skills that I was "supposed" to learn back in typing class did not pertain to this type of communication. My "solo mission" typing skills work great for this sort of communication. Now I will say that it would have been very helpful when I was in college if I had listened in typing class I may have completed my term papers in half the time.
Do schools do justice in regards to the amount of technology exposure we offer our students?