Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Student Response to Education

Interesting take on our education model.

Why Don't You Ask Us?

In my 10 or so years in the Learnersville education system, I have been asked many questions.

“What's two plus two?”
“What happened in the story?”
“Why can't you kids, behave?!”

However, I have not been asked the one magical question that is so powerful, if uttered, unicorns will dance around the room pooping rainbows and leprechauns will chase them looking for their gold. The room would echo with amazement. And the kids would be blinded by the sheer force of the one and only epic question.
What is that question you ask? Some of you may assume that the question is, “What do you want to learn?” HA!! Wrong! No, I'm completely aware that teachers by law are required to teach certain things. And you thought you had me figured out. :)

The question is, “How do you want to learn?” Yes, the epic fantastic amazing question that just might save the world. And I have never been asked it! I am under the impression that none of my teachers actually care about how I want to learn, or how the child next to me wants to learn. I'm sure their reason is that: they know best. Whatever, you don't know how I learn best. YOU'VE NEVER ASKED!
I sit at a desk seven hours a day just waiting for that one question to be spoken, but I know now that I will most likely never be asked it. I guess I have to demand it. So here it goes:

ASK ME HOW I WANT TO LEARN!!!!!!!!